Having an insurance plan as an international student on Optional Practical Training (OPT) while in the United States is important in protecting yourself from unexpected medical expenses and risks. With several insurance options available, it can be overwhelming finding the best coverage for you.
As an independent insurance broker, I occasionally have international students on OTP ask about insurance while in the United States. Having insurance is a good way to protect yourself from unexpected medical expenses and other risks. However, there are so many options to choose from, so it can become overwhelming. In this article, we’ll discuss why insurance is important for OTP international students, the types of insurance available, how to choose the best insurance, and provide tips for finding affordable insurance. Let’s get started!
Table of contents
The Best Insurance Companies For International Students On OPT
As a licensed insurance agent, I have compiled a list of top insurance companies that offer coverage for international students on Optional Practical Training (OPT). These companies have a strong track record of providing reliable and comprehensive coverage to meet the needs of international students.
|UnitedHealthcare||Large health insurance company that offers a range of insurance plans for international students, including coverage for OPT.|
|GeoBlue||International insurance company that offers a range of insurance plans, including coverage for OPT.|
|Seven Corners||Insurance company that offers a range of insurance plans for international students, including coverage for OPT.|
|HTH Worldwide||Insurance company that offers a range of insurance plans for international students, including coverage for OPT.|
|International Student Insurance||Company specialized in insurance for international students that offers a range of plans, including coverage for OPT.|
|ISO Insurance||Insurance company that offers a range of insurance plans for international students, including coverage for OPT.|
|Global Underwriters||Insurance company that offers a range of insurance plans for international students, including coverage for OPT.|
|IMG||Insurance company that offers a range of insurance plans for international students, including coverage for OPT.|
|CISI||Insurance company that offers a range of insurance plans for international students, including coverage for OPT.|
|Aetna||Large health insurance company that offers a range of insurance plans for international students, including coverage for OPT.|
Learn Tips to Save Money on Insurance!
Our newsletter is packed with helpful tips and resources to help you save money and get the most out of your coverage. Sign up now and join our community of savvy insurance consumers.
Why Insurance Is Crucial For International Students On OPT?
As an insurance broker, I understand the importance of wanting to protect yourself against unexpected medical expenses and other risks. As an international student on OPT, you are responsible for your own health and well-being while living and working in the United States.
This includes having insurance coverage to protect you from the risk of unexpected medical expenses, accidents, and injuries. Without insurance, even a minor medical issue can become a financial burden, and a serious illness or injury could result in significant debt.
In addition to protecting your financial wellbeing, having insurance can also provide peace of mind and allow you to focus on your studies or work without worrying about potential health risks.
Types Of Insurance Available For International Students On OPT
As an insurance broker, I understand that the search for insurance can be overwhelming. There are so many options! International students on OPT have several insurance options to choose from, including:
- Health Insurance: Health insurance is essential to cover the costs of medical treatment, including doctor’s visits, prescription medications, and hospital stays. Some health insurance plans may also cover preventive care, such as routine check-ups and vaccinations.
- Travel Insurance: Travel insurance can provide coverage for emergencies that occur while traveling, such as lost luggage, trip cancellations, and medical treatment while abroad. This type of insurance may be especially useful for international students who plan to travel outside the United States during their OPT period.
- Personal Liability Insurance: Personal liability insurance provides coverage for accidents or injuries that you may cause to others, such as if you are involved in a car accident or if you are sued for damages. This type of insurance can help protect your assets and cover legal costs in the event of a liability claim.
How To Choose The Best Insurance For Your Needs?
As an insurance broker, I fully understand the desire for insurance as an international student on OTP. When choosing insurance, you have to be sure that you are choosing the right plan for you.
As An International Student On OTP, Here Are Factors You Should Consider When Choosing Insurance:
- Consider Your Budget: It is important to find an insurance plan that fits within your budget, as you do not want to overspend on coverage that you do not need. Determine how much you can afford to spend on insurance premiums each month, and look for plans that fit within this budget.
- Review The Coverage And Exclusions: Carefully review the coverage and exclusions of any insurance plan before purchasing. Make sure that the plan provides the coverage you need, and pay attention to any exclusions that may limit the policy’s coverage.
- Consider The Reputation Of The Insurance Provider: Choose an insurance provider that has a good reputation for paying claims promptly and fairly. Research the company’s financial stability and read customer reviews to get a sense of their overall performance.
By considering these factors, you can ensure that you find an insurance plan that meets your needs and provides the coverage you need while on OPT.
Tips For Finding Affordable Insurance
As an international student on OTP, the search for affordable insurance can be challenging. As an insurance professional, I understand this, and have picked up several tricks over the years that can help you find affordable insurance. To find affordable insurance, here are tips I recommend:
- Look For Group Insurance Plans: Many schools and employers offer group insurance plans to their students and employees, which may offer lower premiums than individual plans. If you are eligible for a group plan, it may be worth considering as an option.
- Consider A High-Deductible Plan With A Health Savings Account (HSA): High-deductible health insurance plans typically have lower premiums than traditional plans, and they can be paired with a Health Savings Account (HSA) to save on medical expenses. With an HSA, you can contribute money tax-free to pay for qualifying medical expenses, which can help lower your overall costs.
- Shop Around And Compare Quotes From Multiple Insurers: It is a good idea to shop around and compare quotes from multiple insurance providers before making a decision. This will help you find the best coverage for your needs at a price that fits your budget.
As an insurance broker, I understand that the search for affordable insurance for international students on OPT can be challenging. When choosing insurance, consider your needs, budget, coverage and exclusions, and the reputation of an insurance provider. Be sure to follow the tips outlined in this article to make sure you find the best insurance for you, at the most affordable price.