Car insurance discounts and perks help to maintain an affordable car insurance policy. Car insurance can be very expensive, so ensuring you have all the discounts and perks is essential! This article will detail how to get as many discounts as possible, saving you time and money.
As a licensed insurance professional, my clients often call about discounts and perks on their car insurance policy to help lower costs.
This article will help you maximize your savings through tips and tricks and information I’ve learned as an insurance agent.
Table of contents
Types Of Car Insurance Discounts
My clients often ask me about different discounts for their auto insurance policies. Keep in mind every company has different rules when it comes to discounts!
This quick-glance chart offers easy-to-read descriptions and eligibility requirements standard in most insurance companies.
|Good Driver||Discount for having a clean driving record||Drivers with no at-fault accidents or traffic violations in the past 3-5 years|
|Multi-Policy||Discount for insuring multiple vehicles or combining car insurance with other types of insurance (e.g. home or renters insurance) with the same insurer||Customers with multiple policies with the same insurer|
|Accident Forgiveness||Option to have one at-fault accident forgiven, without affecting your premium||Drivers with a clean driving record or who have had this option added to their policy|
|Defensive Driving Course||Discount for completing a defensive driving course||Drivers who have completed a recognized defensive driving course|
|Low Mileage||Discount for driving fewer miles per year||Drivers who log fewer miles per year (usually less than 7,500)|
|Full Payment||Discount for paying your premium in full, rather than in monthly installments||Customers who pay their premium in full upfront|
|Paperless Billing||Discount for opting for electronic billing and policy documents||Customers who choose to receive their billing and policy documents electronically|
And Here Are More Examples Of Car Insurance Discounts!
- Safe Driver Discounts: Many car insurance companies offer discounts to drivers who have a clean driving record and have not been involved in any accidents or received any traffic violations. These discounts can be significant, especially for drivers who have a long history of safe driving.
- Multi-Car Discounts: If you have multiple cars in your household that are all insured by the same company, you may be eligible for a multi-car discount. These discounts are typically based on the number of vehicles you have insured with the company.
- Student Discounts: Some car insurance companies offer discounts to students who maintain good grades. These discounts are often based on the student’s GPA and may be available to full-time students of any age.
- Age-Based Discounts: Some car insurance companies offer discounts to drivers who are over a certain age, such as 50 or 55. These discounts may be based on the assumption that older drivers are generally safer and less likely to be involved in accidents.
- Military Discounts: Many car insurance companies offer discounts to active duty military personnel, as well as to veterans and their families. These discounts may be based on the service member’s rank or length of service.
There are many other types of car insurance discounts that may be available, depending on the company and your individual circumstances. It is worth taking the time to research and compare different car insurance options in order to find the best discounts and the most affordable coverage.
Learn Tips to Save Money on Insurance!
Our newsletter is packed with helpful tips and resources to help you save money and get the most out of your coverage. Sign up now and join our community of savvy insurance consumers.
How To Qualify For Car Insurance Discounts?
In order to qualify for car insurance discounts you need to meet certain criteria set by the insurance company.
As a licensed insurance agent, I can tell you that there are many discounts available for most drivers! The trick is to figure out what is available to you!
|Good Driver||Clean driving record (no at-fault accidents or traffic violations) in the past 3-5 years|
|Multi-Policy||Insuring multiple vehicles or combining car insurance with other types of insurance (e.g. home or renters insurance) with the same insurer|
|Accident Forgiveness||Option available as an add-on to some policies or for drivers with a clean driving record|
|Defensive Driving Course||Completing a recognized defensive driving course|
|Low Mileage||Driving fewer miles per year (usually less than 7,500)|
|Full Payment||Paying your premium in full upfront, rather than in monthly installments|
|Paperless Billing||Opting for electronic billing and policy documents|
These criteria can vary depending on the type of discount and the insurance company, but some common examples include:
- Having A Clean Driving Record: Many car insurance discounts, such as safe driver discounts, are only available to drivers who have not been involved in any accidents or received any traffic violations. In order to qualify for these discounts, you will need to have a clean driving record for a certain period of time, typically at least three years.
- Meeting Certain Age Requirements: Some car insurance discounts, such as age-based discounts, are only available to drivers who are over a certain age. In order to qualify for these discounts, you will need to meet the age requirement specified by the insurance company.
- Maintaining Good Grades: If you are a student and you want to take advantage of a student discount, you will need to maintain good grades and meet the GPA requirements set by the insurance company.
- Being A Member Of Certain Organizations: Some car insurance discounts are available to members of specific organizations, such as military organizations or professional associations. In order to qualify for these discounts, you will need to provide proof of membership.
- Having Multiple Vehicles Insured By The Same Company: If you want to take advantage of a multi-car discount, you will need to have multiple vehicles insured by the same company. These discounts are typically based on the number of vehicles you have insured with the company.
In order to qualify for car insurance discounts, it is important to carefully read the terms and conditions set by the insurance company and make sure you meet all of the requirements.
Tips For Maximizing Car Insurance Discounts
There are several steps you can take to maximize your car insurance discounts. As a licensed insurance professional, I recommend taking every discount option into consideration to see if it a good fit for you!
|Shop Around||Compare quotes from multiple insurers to find the best deal|
|Ask About Discounts||Make sure to ask your insurer about any available discounts and how to qualify for them|
|Maintain A Clean Driving Record||Avoid traffic violations and at-fault accidents to qualify for good driver discounts|
|Consider Bundling||Bundling your car insurance with other types of insurance (e.g. home or renters insurance) with the same insurer may qualify you for a multi-policy discount|
|Take A Defensive Driving Course||Completing a recognized defensive driving course may qualify you for a discount|
|Reduce Your Mileage||If you don’t drive very often, you may be eligible for a low mileage discount|
|Pay In Full Upfront||Paying your premium in full upfront may qualify you for a full payment discount|
|Opt For Paperless Billing||Choosing to receive your billing and policy documents electronically may qualify you for a paperless billing discount|
- Shop Around: Different insurance companies offer different discounts and have different criteria for qualifying for them. By shopping around and comparing quotes from multiple companies, you can find the best discounts and the most affordable coverage.
- Bundle Your Policies: Some insurance companies offer discounts for bundling multiple policies, such as car insurance, home insurance, and life insurance. By bundling your policies, you may be able to save money on your premiums.
- Ask About Discounts: Don’t be afraid to ask your insurance company about discounts that you may be eligible for. Many companies offer discounts that are not well-known or widely advertised, and you may be able to take advantage of these discounts if you ask.
- Keep Your Driving Record Clean: The best way to qualify for safe driver discounts and other types of car insurance discounts is to keep your driving record clean. This means avoiding accidents, traffic violations, and other incidents that could result in a claim or an increase in your premiums.
- Consider A Higher Deductible: If you are willing to pay a higher deductible in the event of an accident, you may be able to save money on your premiums. Just be sure to carefully consider your financial situation and your ability to pay the higher deductible before making this decision.
By following these tips, you can maximize your car insurance discounts and save money on your premiums.
Car Insurance Perks
In addition to discounts, many car insurance companies offer a range of perks that can add value to your policy. These perks can vary widely and often cost more money but they can be a great option to consider!
|Accident Forgiveness||Option to have one at-fault accident forgiven, without affecting your premium||Offered by some insurers|
|Pet Injury Coverage||Coverage for medical expenses for injured pets in the event of a car accident||Offered by some insurers|
|Roadside Assistance||Coverage for services such as towing, tire changes, and jump starts in the event of a breakdown||Offered by many insurers|
|Rental Car Reimbursement||Coverage for the cost of a rental car while your car is being repaired due to a covered claim||Offered by many insurers|
|Trip Interruption Coverage||Coverage for expenses such as meals, lodging, and transportation if your trip is interrupted due to a covered claim||Offered by some insurers|
|GAP Coverage||Coverage for the difference between the value of your car and the amount you owe on it in the event of a total loss||Offered by some insurers|
- Roadside Assistance: This perk provides assistance if you have a flat tire, run out of gas, or experience another issue while on the road. Some roadside assistance programs also offer towing and other services.
- Rental Car Coverage: If you are involved in an accident and your car is not drivable, this perk will cover the cost of a rental car while your car is being repaired.
- Accident Forgiveness: Some insurance companies offer accident forgiveness, which means that your first at-fault accident will not result in an increase in your premiums.
- Pet Injury Coverage: If you have a pet that is injured in an accident, this perk will cover the cost of veterinary care.
- Personal Property Coverage: This perk covers the cost of any personal property that is damaged or stolen in an accident or other covered event.
- Glass Coverage: If your car’s windshield or windows are damaged, this perk will cover the cost of repair or replacement.
Numerous methods can help lower your auto insurance premiums, such as identifying suitable discounts and perks. It’s essential to contact your insurance agent for additional information. By comparing prices, inquiring about discounts, and bundling policies, you can increase savings and obtain optimal coverage.